Saturday, October 16, 2010

I Enter the Wild - A Quiet Day in Baxter - Day 4

 
Mt. Katahdin and Kidney Pond

If waters are placid, the moon will be mirrored perfectly. If we still ourselves, we can mirror the divine perfectly. But if we engage solely in the frenetic activities of our daily involvements, if we seek to impose our own schemes on the natural order, and if we allow ourselves to become absorbed in self-centered views, the surface of our waters becomes turbulent. Then we cannot be receptive to Tao. There is no effort that we can make to still ourselves. True stillness comes naturally from moments of solitude where we allow our minds to settle. Just as water seeks its own level, the mind will gravitate toward the holy. Muddy water will become clear if allowed to stand undisturbed, and so too will the mind become clear if it is allowed to be still.   ~~~Deng Ming-Dao

I am awake at 5:00 and start the fire, but I’m feeling all snuggly this morning and don’t actually arise until 7:15. When I do slide out of bed, I am thrilled to see that there is a blue sky this morning. I can photograph vistas today!  I start the coffee and step down to the edge of the pond.  Mt. Katahdin is in full view this morning, no fog or clouds obscuring its peak or its massive girth.  It is cold enough that mist is rising off the pond, according a sense of mystery to the scene.  Both the mountain and the mist reflect in the pond's still blue surface. And like the pond, I am still for a while, continuing my slow start to the day. I have nothing to do but be here now, so I take advantage of it!  I am gratified to see that the loons are still hanging out on this side of the pond. I do hope the youngster starts trying to fly soon. I’m worried about him . . .

At Foster Field
I head out from Kidney Pond by 8:45, planning to "tour" those areas of Baxter I have been unable to photograph adequately thus far (because of the clouds). It is 48 degrees outside. First stop is Foster Field, located at the "intersection" of the Tote Road and Kidney Pond Road. Foster Field is an open area where tent camping is allowed. It looks like the crew of young men who spent the weekend here are packing up. I photograph the flaming trees against the blue sky, then head up the road to Daicy Pond. Daicy is "one pond over" from Kidney. In fact, it’s actually shorter distance-wise to walk to Daicy from the Kidney Pond campground than to drive. However, the log bridge over the Nesowadnehunk Stream, that runs between the two ponds, has been washed out by the rains so one is unable to cross over on foot. Like Kidney Pond, Daicy Pond also has rustic cabins and a tremendous view of Mt. Katahdin. I spend a bit of time "working the scene" at Daicy, catching some nice shots of the foliage against the blue sky, the pond, and the mountain. I will be back here later in the week to hike the Appalachian Trail as it runs south from here.    

Mt Katahdin and Daicy Pond


Each stone, each bend cries welcome to him. He identifies with the mountains and the streams, he sees something of his own soul in the plants and the animals and the birds of the field. ~~Paulo Coelho
Daicy Pond
After leaving Daicy, I wander up to Katahdin Stream Campground. The Appalachian Trail up to Baxter Peak on Mt. Katahdin runs through the Katahdin Stream campground, so it is a prime camping spot for folks through-hiking or planning to make day hikes up the mountain. There are no cabins here, however. Camping is limited to tents or overnight stays in the lean-tos. I will also be back here later in the week, to see how far up the AT I can hike, toward Baxter Peak. Today, however, is dedicated to photography, not hiking, so I move on.


Stump Pond
Next stop is Stump Pond. Stump Pond is appropriately named. Rising from the water around the edges of the pond are numerous white boulders and - stumps! Stump Pond has apparently been prime moose viewing territory over the last week, and there are several photographers hidden among the bushes - and hidden behind tripods sporting cameras with enormous telephoto lenses. My camera equipment looks minuscule next to theirs. There are no moose hanging out this day, so I ease on down the road.

Upper Togue Pond and Mt. Katahdin
Lower Togue Pond
I explore a few areas I have not visited as yet, including Abol Pond, then Upper and Lower Togue Ponds. The Togue Ponds are located outside the Togue Pond Gateshouse but inside the confines of the Park. The water on Lower Togue Pond is like glass, perfectly reflecting the trees and enormous cumulus clouds. The scene looks like a colorful addition to the Rorschach psychological test. Hmm, looks like two large hands . . .   Across the road Mt. Katahdin rises behind Upper Togue Pond. No matter where one views it, the mountain is magnificent today. I head up the Tote Road to the Roaring Brook Campground. This road is largely enclosed by trees, leaving few spots for photography, so I don’t tarry, but soon turn and head back.

Lower Togue Pond
I wrap up my day at this point.  There has not been much adventure today, no exotic animal sightings, no trail stories to tell, but the photography has been good and I will have some good shots. I am satisfied.

And there are still three days remaining . . .

Donna


No comments:

Post a Comment